Thursday, January 23, 2014

Low Sugar Peanut Butter Balls of Deliciousness

    Our family has now passed the one year mark since we cut sugary treats out of our diet.  When we began the diet change out of desperation to help stabilize Sawyer's hypoglycemic related mood swings, I honestly never expected that we would stick it out.  I have always had such a powerful sweet tooth, that I figured I might be sneaking some sugary treats now and then.  Strangely though, I am rarely even tempted to take a bite of a sugar filled snack.  There have been a couple of occasions, though, when I have almost been overcome with the desire to dig in to something full of sugar.  One of those few occasions happened two days ago.  One of my kindergarteners brought homemade peanut butter balls to share with the class.  I opened the lid to the Tupperware container and the little sugary jewels were screaming their peanut butter smell at me and begging me to pick one up and eat it.  I resisted with all of my power and did not succumb.  I did, however, take several really close up whiffs of them.  Ahhhhh....they smelled heavenly.

   After thinking about those peanut butter balls for two days straight, I knew that I had to do something to fulfill my craving.  So, out of peanut butter desperation, I created my own low sugar recipe.  The turned out amazingly!


 
In a bowl mix:
 
1 sleeve of graham crackers (crushed in a blender)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup of sugar free chocolate chips
 
Plus.....a couple more crackers crushed used to roll the balls in.
 

 
After it is all mixed up, use your hands and roll out a ping pong ball sized amount.

 
Drop the little ball of yumminess into the extra cracker crumbs. 
Roll around to coat.

 
This recipe made a batch of 20 balls.  It has only 2 grams of regular sugar in each ball from the graham crackers.  Of course, more grams of natural sugar comes from the honey, but honey is our friend and doesn't adversely effect blood sugar.
 
My desire for a sugary peanut butter treat has now been sated.
 
Now, hurry up and go eat yours before the rest of the family spies them. 
 
 
 

No comments: