Saturday, March 12, 2011

My Life As a Cheerleader

 Ok, so I am not actually a cheerleader. At one time, yes, but that was many cellulite bumps and wrinkles ago. This past weekend, as I sat in the stands of yet another sporting event, I realized that much of my life revolves around sports. We literally move from one sport to the next with our boys. With 3 boys, who are all very much "into" sports, we spend endless hours jumping from one practice to the next. Last weekend, our hopes of having a free weekend were dashed when we finished up our basketball tournament on Saturday and started baseball practice on Sunday. Tucker, now 12, plays football in the fall, basketball in the winter, and baseball in the spring and summer. Sawyer, who is 8, plays soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, and baseball in the spring and summer. He also ran track last season in the Junior Olympics. Carter, who is 6, plays t-ball in the Spring and is anxious for the day when he can join in on the other sports. Baseball season is just getting into full swing. We spent the last couple of days at baseball practice and getting gear to fit what has been outgrown. This seems to be the toughest sport to manage timewise. It is next to impossible to shuttle 3 kids to 3 different parks on the same days. Practices and games always seem to overlap. Although having the boys involved in sports takes a huge chunk of our time (and money), I truly enjoy being there to cheer them on when they make a great play or score those points. I sit in the stands beaming with pride when one of my sons step up to bat and smashes the ball for a homerun. I love to watch my speedy Sawyer steal the ball from the opponent like a flash of lighning and send the ball into the goal. I relish in watching Tucker lay out another player when he makes an amazing tackle. Seeing Carter tag a player out on his little tball team makes me cheer with delight. I am their biggest fan. I am their greatest cheerleader. It is one of my favorite parts of being a mother.






No comments: