Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Never Quit Playing

As a child, the summer days seemed endless.  My brother, sister and I woke up and spent all our daylight hours going back and forth from one creek to the other, roaming the woods behind our house and romping through the pastures.  Almost every single vivid memory I have from my childhood involves playing during the summer. 



 I treasure each of those moments I spent outside years ago, for those precious hours of playing in nature have molded me into the nature loving fanatic that I am today. 

I enjoy nothing more than getting outside to explore and play with my boys.  Spending my days with them outside during the summer make me yearn for summer all year long.  The rest of the school year is just so packed with sporting events and responsibilities that it is hard to manage to fit time in to just play. 

But, alas..... it's finally summer! 
We woke up and hit the road to Rickwood Caverns State Park.

 Today.....
we played.



We climbed.
We joked.
We were silly.




We discovered.
 We wondered.




We hiked.
We explored.
We sweated.


We talked.
We picnicked.
We enjoyed each other.





I hope that I am instilling a love for nature into my boys.....
as well as a love for life....
a love for family.....
a love for each other....
and a love for playing.


"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
                              ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

No comments: