Friday, December 16, 2011

The Status of My Christmas Readiness

  We had a play today at school performed by some of our students, therefore, we had parents buzzing around.  At the end of the play, I was leading my kindergarteners back to class when a parent met me in the hall.  He smiled and casually asked,

 "So, are you ready for Christmas?"

I wasted no time in my negative answer...

"No way! Not at all!"

But then, it dawned on me that the man that had asked me the question was a new minister in our community, and my answer might have come out wrong. He could have taken my snarky remark the wrong way. So, I tried to fix it.  I was backpedaling, big time.

"I mean.... I love Christmas!  I really like it.  It's not that I'm not ready for it.  I mean....ummm....I'm not finished shopping.  And wrapping. And, It's not that shopping is the most important thing about Christmas, but.....I.....uh......"

I sounded like an idiot.

It was a very simple question, after all.  He probably didn't expect a novel about the status of my christmas preparedness.  So I tried to wrap it up....

"...um....I mean, I just still have a lot to do."

And I smiled.  And pretended that I hadn't just blabbed on and on like a moron.

Here is what I was trying to explain.....

My tree is up, but the only decorations on it are some ribbon and the ornaments that Carter made at school this week.  Nothing else in my house is decorated.  The village isn't out.  The lights aren't up outside.  We have no stockings.

These are the gifts that were bought on Black Friday.  They are still under a blanket....not wrapped.  And not all bought.

This is how far my holiday baking has gotten. 


So....there you have it.  The status of my Christmas readiness is a big, fat flashing

NOT READY!!!

AT ALL!!!

Uhh.... I mean....
It's not that I don't like Christmas.







2 comments:

Robin Kramer said...

I'm about as ready for Christmas as you are, which perhaps will comfort you. In fact, we recently decided to paint our family room, so we currently have drop cloths lining the carpets and hallways.

This definitely diminishes any festive appearance.

It's the inside preparations that count more, I remind myself. :)

By the way, I love your holiday baking.

Megan said...

I know what you mean! It just seems to come so quickly every year. There's got to be a way that I can feel less frazzled and not more so each Christmas!