Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ice Cream That's Good For You....And Has Only ONE Ingredient

I know what you're thinking.
Healthy ice cream?
Yeah, right.

But, stay with me here.
It's not a hoax.

I was browsing Pinterest, whilst dreaming of ice cream. For those of you who don't know, ice cream is my kryptonite.  I love ice cream more than any other food.  Thinking of the creaminess and sweetness make me drool like Pavlov's dogs. During my browse on Pinterest, I typed in "healthy ice cream". I was hoping to at least find a healthy alternative to my night time craving of ice cream.  I am really trying to lose a few pounds and my banishment of ice cream has left me feeling unfulfilled. I do eat yogurt....a lot.  And I love it, but sometimes I want the rich, thick taste of ice cream. I expected my query on Pinterest to give me this response, "We're sorry, but there were no matches for your search of healthy ice cream."  But to my delight, I came across a very simple recipe. A recipe that I was very skeptical of, but decided that it couldn't hurt to try. 

The recipe calls for one ingredient.

Frozen bananas

That's it. 

You don't add milk, or vanilla, or ice chips, or whipped cream, or anything. 
Just bananas.

I know, I know.  This is why I was skeptical, but I threw caution to the wind and gave it a whirl.  And I am oh, so glad I did. 

Here is how you do it.....

Peel a banana. 
Cut it up into slices. 
Freeze the slices. (Frozen bananas are very difficut to cut when frozen, so that's why you slice them before freezing.) 
Put the slices in a blender.


Turn that sucker on.

This part takes a bit of patience.  The bananas start out looking like little bits, but just hang in there.  The creaminess is coming.
Just keep blending until the bananas turn into this....


This photo was taken as soon as I opened my blender up.  I didn't stir it, or doctor it up, or add anything to it.  This is just plain ole frozen bananas.

Ok, so far so good.
But the true test would be the taste.

It's weird because it doesn't really taste like just bananas. 
It certainly has a banana flavor though, so if you don't like bananas, then you are out of luck on this one.
But it tastes richer and oh so creamy!

I liked just the simple banana recipe, but if you wanna go really wild, you can doctor it up a little.

You can turn the one ingredient healthy ice cream into a 3 ingredient healthy ice cream and make it utterly dreamy.

That's what I did.

To make the 3 ingredient dreamy ice cream....

First....make the original version.

Then, add a teaspoon of cocoa powder and a teaspoon of peanut butter.

Blend it up.

It makes this peanut butter chocolate goodness....


This fulfilled my ice cream craving 100%.


Ahhhh.....bliss.







1 comment:

Lisa Gamble said...

Jennifer, I am so trying this!! Drooling...as I type!!