Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Seriously Delicious Fat Free Apple Pie


I know that this is hard to believe...but I found a seriously delicious alternative to Apple Pie A La Mode.  It's practically fat free (I think there is half a fat gram in the apple) and the calories aren't terrible either.  There are like 150ish calories, which is really not bad at all.  I saw this recipe on the show Hungry Girl.  If you aren't familiar with Hungry Girl and are trying to make healthy swaps for common bad for you foods, then I encourage you to find her show and watch it.  I really love it!  She makes me feel less guilty about my insanely hearty appetite.  And she makes yummy stuff, too! 

This recipe is super easy and tastes really amazing.  You just have to trust me and try it.


Slice up an apple and put it in a microwave safe bowl.
Add 12 Red Hot candies. (This is where the "apple pie flavor" comes from for very few calories.)


Microwave for 2 minutes.
Stir.
Then microwave for 2 additional minutes.


Sprinkle a teaspoon of brown sugar onto the apples.


Top with a big ole squirt of Fat Free Whipped Topping. (Like ReddiWhip)
There are only a few calories in the whipped topping, so you are getting a big bang for just a few calories.

Sprinkle just a bit of cinnamon sugar mixture on top of the whipped topping.


Dig in.

A serving of apple pie a la mode at a  popular restaurant is 1,086 calories and 20 fat grams.
Yikes!

This version has about 150ish calories and has 3 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber and only half of a fat gram.

You can thank me later.

No comments: