Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Legacy of Love

    I am off work today, which is nice. Except the circumstances stink.  I took the day off to be with my family, since my Nanny passed away.  I dropped the boys off at school and then pulled into my Mom and Dad's driveway.  My car, that apparently makes a distinct noise, woke them up.  Even though they say they were already awake.  They invited me to join them for breakfast at our local fast food joint.  This is the hot place to hang out in town if you have already retired. 

   I watched my parents interact with each other over breakfast.  They ordered their breakfast, knowing exactly what the other one wanted.  Mom still looked at Dad with a glimmer in her eye, probably just as she did many years ago.  Dad is still protective of Mom, just as he probably was back when they were college age kids. They shared "dessert" (a buttered biscuit with strawberry jelly), which is something they apparently do every single day. 

  We discussed lots of things over breakfast.  We talked about Nanny.  We discussed football.  School.  Running. Food.  My brother and sister....neither of which are Mom's favorite., by the way.  We talked about lots of little things. We discussed how some families in the area have been broken up and turned topsy turvy by divorce.  That one got me to thinking.

   On my ride home from breakfast, I thought about how happily married I am. About how much I love him.  I thought about how much I love my boys.  And how much they love each other. Somebody had to have shown me how to do it.  I had to have an example of how to love. And I did have examples. I have had all the examples I will need in a lifetime.  I have been able to watch love in action all around me.  All of my life.


Because of this...

And this...

 There is this.


And because of this.....

There is this.


Because I see this....

I have this.

Because of this.....

And this.....


We had this....

And this....

Because of moments like this......


I had moments like this.....

All because of this.....
 And this....


I know to do this.


Because of this....

There is this.

And if we continue to have this.....

And this....

We will continue to get this....

And this....

and this.

The legacy of love lives on. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!

Jan Hullett said...

I can see this being shown in a church service! A sermon in pictures! Priceless!

Jamie Scott said...

Oh my Jennifer... That was absoloutly GORGEOUS. One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I love the person you are- I am so blessed to call you sister.