Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Favorite Heroes

I honestly cannot even imagine packing myself up and throwing myself into a hostile environment where my job is to protect the lives of strangers.  I cannot imagine willingly leaving behind my beautiful sons....my lover....my friends.....my snug little home....my comfortable job.....my parents who are next door....my church...and my little luxuries.  I cannot imagine the sacrifice it must be to live in a tent or a makeshift home, to eat food out of packages, and to sleep while still being on alert. I cannot comprehend that there are so many Americans that would do this voluntarily.  So many that do this very thing, just so the rest of us can live peacefully and without fear.  These people...these men and women....these mothers and fathers...sons and daughters....friends...grandchildren.....these people are my heroes. 
All of them. 
Thank you.

These are my personal favorite heroes....

My Daddy
Served in the Army in Vietnam.


My Paw-Paw Curtis
Served in the Marines in World War II


 My Father-in-Law
 Served in the Air Force in Vietnam


My Paw-Paw Mc
Served in the Army in World War II


Tonight, I will sleep without fear in my bed.  My sons will not worry about the possibilty of terrorists or war on our homeland.  I will worship as I please.  I will go about my daily routines happy and carefree.  It's because of our real heroes.  Our service men and women.  Our Veterans and our active duty military.  It's all because they sacrifice so much, so that the rest of us don't have to.

I have a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as I type this because my heart is full of gratitude for what they do.

To any Veterans or military who happen to be reading this.....

 thank you
thank you
thank you.

No comments: